Monmouth County Revolutionary War Sites

Sandy Hook Lightouse - Gateway NRA

Philip Freneau Grave - Matawan

Holmes - Hendrickson House - Holmdel

Old Brick Church - Marlboro

Portland Place - Middletown

Longstreet Farmhouse - Holmdel

Burrowes Mansion - Matawan

Walter Hyer Grave - Aberdeen

Old Yellow Meeting House - Upper Freehold

Old Tennent Presbyterian Church - Manalapan

African-American Burial Ground - Tinton Falls

St. Peter’s Episcopal Church - Freehold

Michael Fields Grave - Colts Neck

Christ Church - Shrewsbury

Abner Thorp Grave - Howell

Aberdeen

·         Van Pelt Family Burial ground – Faith Lane – Walter Hyer, Revolutionary War veteran is buried here

Allentown

·         Allentown Village – Historic village that was a campground for nearly 11,000 British troops before the Battle of Monmouth

·         Allentown Presbyterian Church Cemetery – 20 High Street - Reports that the British used the original church as a stable. British soldiers may be buried here as result of local skirmishes.  Three Patriots are buried here: Peter Wykoff, James Bruere, and David Hay.

·         Nathan Allen Mill – 51 South Main Street – Original mill built in just after 1700 was replaced in the 1850’s by the current building. Products milled and other goods here were sent to Boston citizens because of the British blockade. Owners during war were contracted by Quartermaster for supplies.

Brielle

·         Osborn Family Burial Ground – Holy Hill Drive – Lt. Abraham Osborn is reported to be buried but there is no marker.  His son James Osborn, a veteran of the War of 1812, is buried here with his family.

 

Colts Neck

·         Colts Neck Memorial Park – 242 Heyers Mill Road – Gravesite of Private Michael Fields, there are two different stories surrounding his death, killed by the British during their retreat after the Battle on Monmouth to Sandy Hook during a skirmish near the grave location or died in British care here from wounds received during the Battle of Monmouth.

·         Colts Neck Inn – 191 Route 537 – A stagecoach stop and tavern established about 1717.  During the Revolution it was owned and operated by Catherine A. Hart, widow of Joshua Huddy. Restaurant is still operating in same location today.

·         Laird and Company – Route 537 – The oldest distiller in the country, their 1780 license number from the Department of Treasury is #1. Robert Laird, a descendant of William Laird, served under George Washington.  Washington asked Laird for his applejack recipe. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 2024. Original distillery of William Laird may have been behind the Colts Neck Inn. The Laird family still manages the company.  Active manufacturing facility.

·         Joshua Huddy Homestead Site – near Heyers Mill Road and Rt 537 – PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY,  House was owned by Levi and Catherine Hart, they ran a tavern near the house, Levi died and Catherine married Huddy. House was demolished in 1840’s. Huddy surrendered to Tories after they set fire to his home in 1780. He later escaped the Tories near Rumson while being taken to New York City. Later he was recaptured and hanged in Highlands.

·         Logan – Bennet Family Burial Ground – Laird Road – John L. Bennet, a Revolutionary war soldier is buried here.

·         Polhemus Family Burial Ground – Laird Road – Two Revolutionary War soldiers are buried here: Col. Auke Wikoff and Tobias Polhemus.

Englishtown

·         Village Inn – Main and Water Street – Washington used the tavern as his headquarters during the Battle on Monmouth. Washington initiated the court-martial of Gen. Charles Lee from here. Listed on the National Register of Places in 1972. The oldest part of the building dates to 1732. Building is owned by the Battleground Historical Society. Tours are available.

·         Moses Laird House – Main Street and Hamilton Road - PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY, Washington stayed in the house after the Battle of Monmouth. Laird was avid patriot.  

 

Freehold

  • Monmouth Battle Monument – Court and Monument Street – Cornerstone laid June 28, 1878, completed in 1884. 90 ft tall monument has 5 bas-relief scenes from the battle. Statue of Columbia/Liberty Triumphant tops the monument. Monument is in small park beside the new courthouse built in the 1950’s. Portion of the Battle of Monmouth occurred on this site.

  • Monmouth County Historical Association – 77 Court Street – The museum houses the Emanuel Leutze’s copy of “Washington Rallying the Troops” painting. The museum has rotating exhibits, a research library and thousands of artifacts relating to Monmouth County history.  They also manage five historic buildings in the county. Tours are available.

  • Covenhoven House – 150 West Main Street - was built about 1752 home for several generations of Covenhoven family. Covenhovens were supporters of the patriot cause. Served as Gen. Henry Clinton’s headquarters during the Battle of Monmouth. Building and property owned by Monmouth County Historical Association. Tours are available. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1974

  • Monmouth Court House – Main and Court Streets – Current building is known as Hall of Records it is the fourth courthouse building on this site. The earliest dates to 1715, second was built in 1719, the 1731 structure was here during the Battle on Monmouth. In 1954 a new courthouse was built down the street, and this building was updated to present appearance.  Freehold was known as Monmouth Court House. The courthouse was used as field hospital during the battle. Building currently contains offices of Monmouth County Government.

  • St. Peter’s Church - Construction began in 1771 but was halted during the war reportedly used by the British to care for their wounded after the Battle of Monmouth. Active church today. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1998.

  • Wikoff Hill Burial Ground - Oldest grave dates to 1740, at least 1 Revolutionary War soldier, Hendrick Williamson died 1813 is buried here

  • Moore’s Tavern – West Main Street – Tavern dates back 1787 and has been remodeled extensively over the years. Initially known as the Monmouth House, it was a stagecoach stop between New York and Philadelphia.  Operates as a restaurant today.

  • Levi Soloman Farmstead – 310 Mounts Corner Drive. Farm and property owned by Soloman family during the war. House was partially damaged during the battle. Jewish Heritage Museum is currently housed here.

  • Oakley Farmstead – 189 Wemrock Road – AKA Walker-Combs-Hartshorne house.  Original section was a single room cabin constructed in late 17th century. George Walker owned the property during the battle and fought in it. Today the museum is run by Freehold Township

Gateway National Recreation Area

  • Sandy Hook Lighthouse - Oldest operating lighthouse in U.S. Built in 1764. National Historic Landmark. Sandy Hook was a base of operations for the British during the Revolution. Tours are available and you can climb to the top of the lighthouse. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1966.

  • Haliburton Memorial - Memorial erected by the mother of Hamilton D. Halyburton after her son and 12 other British soldiers/sailors died during a storm and their bodies washed ashore in 1783. Original monument was destroyed by the French. In 1909 grave was found when roadbed for a railroad was being constructed.  Bodies moved to Cypress Hill National Cemetery in Brooklyn, after consultation with British consulate. New monument was erected in 1937

  • British Embarkation Marker – near the place where the British Army under Gen. Henry Clinton boarded ships for transport to New York City after evacuating Philadelphia and the Battle of Monmouth.

Hazlet

·         Cedarwood Cemetery – Highway 36 – At least 2 Revolutionary War soldiers are buried here: Thomas Carhart, who was part of the militia that captured the brig Britannia at Shoal Harbor (Middletown). The are many gravestones with death dates that precede 1849 founding of the cemetery, suggesting reinterments.

·         Aumack Family Burial Ground between Oregon Avenue and Virginia Avenue – William H. Aumack is the Revolutionary war veteran buried here.

Highlands

·         Huddy Park – Bay and Waterwitch Ave – Site of the hanging of Captain Joshua Huddy by Tories April 12, 1782, after his capture defending the Toms River Blockhouse.

Holmdel

·         Kovenhoven/Covenhoven House – Van Brackle Road – PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY. House was built in 1699. Added to National Register of Historic Places in 1974

·         Holmes-Hendrickson House – 68-74 Longstreet Road – Built circa 1754, fine example of Dutch/ English home. Purchased by Monmouth County Historical Association and moved to current location in 1959 when Bell Labs purchased the property. House transferred to Monmouth County Park System in 2019, tours provided by MCHA docents.  House has had minimal updates and was never updated for heat, plumbing or electricity. Added to National Register of Historic Places in 1978

·         Longstreet Farm – in Holmdel Park – Original 1775 two-room Dutch house has been expanded over the years. Home is located on late 1800 working farm, house is furnished in the Victorian period. Administered by Monmouth County Park System. Added to National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Tours are available.

·         Holmdel Cemeteries

o   Ancient Walling Family Burial Ground – Wind Hill Way, near the DePalma Farm – Four Revolutionary War patriots buried here: Joel Beddle, Thomas Roberts, John Walling Jr. and John Walling Sr.

o   Dorsett Town Historic Cemetery – Telegraph Hill Road – Four Revolutionary War patriots buried here: Joseph Dorsett, John Hoff, George and Richard Poole

o   Holmdel Baptist Cemetery – Rt. 520, behind Holmdel United Community Church. Five Patriots buried here: Andrew Bray, Asher Holmes, Stout Holmes, James Walling, John Whitlock

o   Old Holmdel Yard Cemetery – Middletown Road – aka Dutch Reformed Church Yard. Final resting place of two Patriots; John Hyer, Derick Zutphen.

o   Holmdel Cemetery – Holmdel Road – large public cemetery, 6 Patriots buried here: Joseph Holmes, John Schanck, Chrineyonce Schanck, Peter Schanck, George Taylor, James Taylor. Possible reinterments.

o   Holmes Family Burial Ground – between Rt. 34 and Pleasant Valley Road – cemetery is surrounded by property owned by Casola farms. John Holmes is the only Patriot buried here.

o   Hendrick Hendrickson Family Burial Ground – Beau Ridge Drive – Three Hendrickson Revolutionary war soldiers are buried here: Corneilus, Garret and Hendrick.

o   Daniel Hendrickson Family Burial Ground – Laurel Avenue, 650 ft north along the NJ Transit RR tracks. Daniel Hendrickson is the patriot buried here.

o   Luyster Family Burial Ground – Williams Way – Single patriot John Luyster is buried here.

o   Schanck-Covenhoven Burial Ground – Canyon Woods Court - Very old cemetery used by original Holmdel settlers. Four veterans of Revolution are buried here: Samuel Bowne, Ruleff Covenhoven, Corneilus Covenhoven, and Garret Schanck.

o   Smock Family Burial Ground – Willow Brook and Longbridge Roads – Four Smock family patriots buried here: Barnes, George, Hendrick, and John Smock. Jacob Van Artsdalen, another patriot, is also buried here.

o   Stillwell Family Burial Ground – Stillwell Road – Revolutionary War patriot John Stillwell is buried here.

o   Stout Family Burial Ground – Mountain Lane, Thomas Stout is the only Revolutionary war patriot buried here.

o   Wall Family Burial Ground – Centerville Road and Sunrise Circle, near DePalma farm – Two patriots are buried here: Richard Suydam and James Wall.

o   Old Walling Family Cemetery – Miller Avenue - Daniel Walling a Revolutionary War patriot is buried here. George Washington Walling, Superintendent of New York City Police from 1874 to 1885, is also buried here.

o   Van Brackle - Lequier Burial Ground – Line Road and Wigwam Lane – John Lequier II is the patriot buried here.  

Howell

·         Throp Family Burial Ground – Southard Avenue – Abner Thorp, Revolutionary War veteran is buried here. Gravestone states he served in the Quarter Master department.

Keansburg

·         Truex Burial Ground – Leroy Place – Abraham Mason is the Revolutionary war soldier buried here.

Little Silver

·         Parker Homestead – 235 Rumson Road – The Parker family has lived in this area for 300 years. The location of the home of Peter Parker is not known. Peter arrives circa 1660 from Rhode Island. The oldest section of the house today dates to circa 1720. The property is owned by Little Silver and co-managed by Parker Homestead-1665.  An eighth generation Parker descendant willed the property to Little Silver in 1996. House and property are open for tours. Since 2011 it has been listed on the Register of National Historic Places

Manalapan

·         Monmouth Battlefield State Park – 20 Business Route 33 – park is the site of some of the longest and heaviest fight of the entire war.  Hiking trails lead to battle locations.  Visitor center has map of battle and short film. The Craig House was here during the battle and is part of the park. Molly Hays, known as Molly Pitcher, gained infamy based on her actions at the Battle of Monmouth. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1966.

·         Old Tennent Church and Churchyard – Tennent Road – The church built 1751 is still used today for Presbyterian church services. The church was part of the Battle of Monmouth as both cannon balls and musket balls were fired at it.  Church was used a hospital by the Americans.  Pews have blood stains from doctors and soldiers. Church is open for tours periodically. Churchyard is still an active cemetery.  Over 70 Revolutionary War soldiers have this as their final resting place.  There is a mass grave of unknown American soldiers on the property along with a British officer and British soldiers interred here. 

·         Preston Family Burial Ground – Smithburg Road, located in the middle of farm field – Jonathan Forman a Revolutionary War soldier is buried here.

Marlboro

·         Old Brick Reformed Church and Churchyard – Newman Springs Road (Rt. 520) – Reformed Dutch church dates to 1709.  The present church was completed in 1827 replacing a 1732 building. Fourteen Revolutionary War soldiers are buried here: Elias Conover, John Elias Covenhoven, John G. Covenhoven, Rev. Benjamin DuBois, John Holsart, John Jones, Oukey Lefferson, Koertt Garretse Schenck, Henry Stryker, Peter Stymest, Aaron D. Sutphin, Garret Van Der Veer, Peter Van Dorn, Garrett Wickoff.

·         Old Scots (Presbyterian) Burial Ground – Gordons Corner Road – Scottish Presbyterians formed a congregation here in 1692 and by 1705 built a meeting house. This was known as Free Hill. This became the first Presbyterian Church in New Jersey. By 1728 the elders agreed to keep this land as a burying ground. In 1730/31 a second church was built 5 miles away on White Hill, known today as Old Tennent Church, leading to this church’s demise. Many graves are unmarked due to vandalism over the years.

·         Topanemus (Episcopal) Burial Ground – Topanemus Road – About 1692 Scottish Presbyterians joined with local Quakers and built a meeting house on this site.  By 1702 a leading citizen unhappy with Quaker doctrine converted to Episcopalian, Anglican Church of England. Thomas Boel, the property owner who allowed the Quakers to meet on his property, willed the same 1-1/2 acres and 6 pounds to build an Episcopal Church here. In 1736 the Topanemus Church received a Royal Charter as St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. They infrequently held meetings in Freehold, eventually moving to Freehold. The burial ground is one of the oldest in the county. Unconfirmed burials predate 1700 while first confirmed is 1709. Thomas Warne, a NJ Proprietor, John Reid, surveyor for the Proprietors along with names of many early settlers. Some stones were moved the St. Peter’s Church in Freehold to protect them from vandalism.

·         Federal Hall -Newman Springs Road (Route 520)   - PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY.  Original owner was a Conover, owned by the Ely family for many years. Federal style house with one end shaped like a steamboat. Built circa 1740, original icehouse and smokehouse are on the property.

·         Vandeveer House – Ryan Road – PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY. Built circa 1722 by Tunis Vanderveer, house remained in Vanderveer family for many years. Fine example of a colonial style home, renovations and additions to this house have been made to the house over the years.

Matawan

·         The Burrows Mansion – 94 Main Street – Home of John Burrows Sr. and John Burrows Jr. both avid patriots. Loyalists came to the house to arrest both, John Jr. escaped but John Sr. was arrested and held in prison.  House is administered by Matawan Historical Society. Tours are available. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1972.

·         Philip Freneau House and Grave – Poet Drive – Grave site is located across the street from his former home. The family moved into this house in 1818 after the original Freneau house built by Philip’s father was destroyed in a fire.  The family remained in the second house until 1824 when they moved to Freehold.  Philip’s mother is buried beside him. His wife is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. House was added in 2009 to the National Register of Historic Places. House is PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY,

·         Mount Pleasant Church and Graveyard – New Brunswick Avenue (Rt 516) – The church was burned down by Loyalists in 1777, and its’ pastor Rev. Charles McKnight was captured and sent to a prison ship in New York Harbor. McKnight was a vocal and strong supporter of independence. Eleanor Freneau, wife of Philip Freneau, is buried in this graveyard along with at least two Revolutionary War veterans: Mathais Hulsart and Maj. Thomas Hunn.

·         Hawkins House – Mill Road – PRIVATELY OWNED, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY, Maj. Thomas Hunn operated a tavern in this building during the Revolution.

Middletown

  • Historic Middletown Village area along Kings Highway as it parallels Highway 35 between Harmony and Tindall Road. Homes, churches and burial grounds are among the sites that date back to Middletown’s founding in 1664. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1974.

    • Marlpit Hall - 137 Kings Highway - one of the original lots in the village of Middletown from 1686. Current structure dates to the early 1700’s. Owned by the Taylor family from 1771 to the 1930’s. Home of Edward Taylor during the Revolution.  Taylor was a Patriot early in the war sending grain and flour to Boston but later became a Tory/Loyalist.  He was arrested and sentenced to house arrest at Marlpit Hall. Owned by Monmouth County Historical Association. Tours are available.

    • Christ Church, 90 Kings Highway - Founded in 1702, church was built in 1744. Used by British during their march to Sandy Hook in 1778 as a place to care for their wounded. Generals Clinton and Cornwallis met in the vicinity of church while enroute to Sandy Hook. The oldest gravestone in the churchyard is Thomas Arrowsmith who died in 1800. Active church. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1971. Churchyard has four Revolutionary patriots buried in it: John Robbins, Isaac Van Dorn, Humphrey Willet and John Wilson

    • Hartshorne Family Burial Ground - King Highway - probable burial location for Richard Hartshorne, and his descendants, Richard was early settler and one of the largest landowners, owning about 2,400 acres in the late 1600’s.

    • Joseph Johnson Family Burial Ground - rear of Middletown Reformed Dutch Churchyard, 121 Kings Highway - separate burial ground that predates the Dutch Reformed Church. Johnson Burial Ground begins at the base of hill. Cornelius and Hendrick Vanderbilt reported to be Revolutionary war soldiers are buried here.

    • Dutch Reformed Churchyard, 121 Kings Highway, most likely reinterments from local family burial grounds, Captain William Conover is buried here, likely reinterment.

    • Old First Baptist Church and Burial Ground - 69 Kings Highway - church dates to 1830’s the burial ground abuts three additional family burial grounds. The Baptist burial ground is best known as the place where Rev. Abel Morgan was reinterred from the Presbyterian Cemetery and Joseph Murray from his farm. Morgan was a patriot preacher and was reinterred to the Baptist burial ground in 1888. Five other Revolutionary War veterans are buried here: Ruliff Conover, Matthais Covenhoven, Obadiah Stillwell

      • Jehu Patterson Family Burial Ground - located on the Old First Baptist Burial Ground - was located behind Baptist church, as the church wanted to enlarge the church, they purchased this and the 4 graves were relocated to a different part of the cemetery.

      • Murray-Patterson Burial Ground - located on the Old First Baptist Burial Ground - established by 1822. Joseph Murray, Revolutionary War patriot, was reinterred here from his farm in 1855 by Murray’s grandson William F. Murray.

      • Taylor-Stillwell Burial Ground - located on the Old First Baptist Burial Ground - two Revolutionary War patriots are buried here, John Taylor and John Stillwell.

    • Throckmorton- Lippit-Taylor Burial Ground - Penelope Lane - John Throckmorton, one of the original Monmouth patentees, is buried here, earliest gravestone dates to 1709. Edward Taylor, the Loyalist is buried here, along with his wife, Mary and son, Col. George Taylor, who has a member of the local militia before joining the British Army. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

    • Daniel Hendrickson Family Burial Ground - corner of Kings Highway and Kings Court, oldest gravestone is for Anne Dubois who died in 1789.

    • Presbyterian Burial Ground - Kings Highway - located next to the Daniel Hendrickson Family Burial Ground, oldest gravestone is Capt. John Bowne who died in 1715/16. Three Revolutionary War veterans are buried here: Edward Burrows, John Burrows, and Samuel Hopping.

  • Herbert Family Burial Ground on Old Country Road - Harmony section, at least 1 Revolutionary War soldier is buried here, James Herbert Sr.

  • Applegate Family Burial Ground corner of Burlington and Cedar Avenue – Leonardo section, Richard Applegate, a Revolutionary War soldier is buried here.

  • Historic Portland Place – Hartshorne Road, Navesink/Locust section – Dutch framed house built circa 1720 was enlarged by the Hartshorne family which owned the property which eventually was 200 acres.  Original house is now the dining room in current house. Property bequeathed to Monmouth County Park System in 2008 by a descendent of the Hartshorne family. Tours are available. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 2012.

  • Joseph Murray Farmhouse – 345 Oak Hill Road – House and barn where the Murray family lived and farmed. Murray was captured by Tories in 1779 and sent to prison but released in 1780. Murray was shot in the back and stabbed while working in his fields. It is believed that this was for stealing the horse of Edward Taylor, a prominent local Tory. He was buried on his farm but in 1855 a descendant had his body moved to Old First Baptist Burial Ground. House and barn owned by Middletown Township, Poricy Park Conservancy leases the surrounding land and runs the nature center. Tours are available.

  • Seabrook Wilson House – 719 Port Monmouth Road – part of the Monmouth County’s Bayshore Waterfront Park. The house has been added onto over the years. Original section dates to the early 1700’s. House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Thomas Whitlock built first home on this site in the 1660’s. Second owner Thomas Seabrook updated the structure. It remained in the Seabrook for 250 years.  Known locally as the “Spy House” but research has proven that is a misnomer.  Tours are available. Sign commemorates salvage of the British Brig. Brittania by local militia in December 1779 that occurred near here.

  • Grover House – West Front Street, Lincroft section – House built circa 1730 using Dutch framing techniques. Grover family lived in the house for 250 years. Now it is owned by Middletown Township. Navesink Maritime Heritage Association leases the building and uses it for their group and education programs. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 2002.   NMHA has been restoring the house.  House has been moved several times.

  • Fair View Cemetery – Highway 35 – Large public cemetery. Six Revolutionary War veterans are buried here; all are reinterments from family burial grounds. Richard Crawford, John Eldridge, Jacobus Hubbard, Thomas Seabrook, Moses Shepard, and Joseph Stillwell.

  • Bay View Cemetery – Hosford Avenue, Leonardo section- Large public cemetery. Two veterans of the Revolution are buried here: Joseph Johnson and Ezekiel Lewis.  Probable reinterments from local family burial grounds.

  • Eastmond Burying Ground – York Avenue – John Willett is the Revolutionary War soldier buried here.

  • Maxson Family Burial Ground – Locust Point Road and Lakeside Avenue, Navesink section – John Maxson is the Revolutionary war veteran buried here.

  • Morris Family Burial Ground – Leedsville Road, Lincroft section, Burial Ground is on PRIVATE PROPERTY, PLEASE RESPECT THE OWNER’S RIGHTS AND PRIVACY, James Morris a Revolutionary War soldier was buried here and has been reinterred at Bayview Cemetery. His gravestone remains in this burial ground.

  • Browns Dock Burial Ground – Brown Dock Road – located in Huber Woods Park of Monmouth County Park System – Henry Johnson is the Revolutionary War veteran buried here.

  • James Patterson Family Burial Ground – Brausch Boulevard – located at Middletown High School South formerly part of the Patterson farm. Cemetery was moved to current location because of the construction of the school. James Patterson is the Revolutionary War soldier buried here.

Rumson

·         Joshua Huddy Leap Monument- Rumson Road and Ward Avenue – Plaque commemorates Joshua Huddy’s escape from Tory capture in September 1780.

Shrewsbury

·         Four Corners Historic District – corner of Route 35 and Sycamore Avenue – intersection of Native American trails that pre-date English settlement. Historic buildings and properties are located at this intersection.

·         Allen House – corner of Route 35 and Sycamore Avenue – AKA  Blue Ball Tavern. Operated as a tavern from the mid 1700’s to the early 1800’s. Site of Allen House Massacre of 1779. Loyalists attacked 12 Patriots killed 3 and captured 9. Patriots were supposed to watch Loyalist movements. Owned by Monmouth County Historical Association, tours are available. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1974. Located on one of the four historic corners in Shrewsbury.

·         Christ Church and Churchyard - corner of Route 35 and Sycamore Avenue – Located on one of the historic four corners in Shrewsbury. Established in 1702 with the current building built between 1769 and 1774. Occupied by Patriots during the war, being an Anglican Church, Americans shot at the pulpit along with the orb and crown on the steeple.  An active church, tours are offered periodically. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1995. Churchyard has thirteen American Revolutionary War veterans buried here: Edward Bennett, Joseph Dennis, James Greene, John Haggerty, William Lippincot, Thomas Lloyd, Lewis McKnight, Thomas Morford, John Slocum, Holmes Throckmorton, James Throckmorton, Job Throckmorton, and John West.  

·         First Presbyterian Church and Churchyard – Sycamore Avenue, rear of Christ Church – Church was founded in 1685 by Scottish Presbyterians, first church constructed in 1735. Rev Charles McKnight was pastor during the Revolution and was pro-independence. McKnight was arrested and sent to prison. The 1732 church burned down in 1800 and until 1821 when construction began on a new building church services were held in Christ Church.  Three Revolutionary war veterans are buried here: Samuel Breese, William Lippincott, John Little, Jr. Still an active church.

·         Shrewsbury Friends Meeting House and Burial Ground - corner of Route 35 and Sycamore Avenue – Located on one of the historic four corners in Shrewsbury. The Friends held services in two locations before purchasing this location in 1695/6, which included plans for a burial ground surrounding the meeting house. Current building was constructed in 1816.  Active Friends Meeting House.  Listed on the Register of National Historic Places. Open for tours once a year during Weekend in Old Monmouth, first weekend in May.

·         Wardell House – Property owned by Loyalist Wardell family, property seized and sold to Patriot Lippencott family in 1779

Tinton Falls

·         African American Burial Ground – Tinton Avenue – Burial ground for enslaved people of Lewis Morris. Morris operated an iron works powered by waterfall at Tinton in the 1670’s.  Morris was the largest slave holder in New Jersey at that time.  Tinton Manor was name of Morris’ property. Tinton Manor was the scene of several skirmishes during the Revolution.

·         Tinton Falls Historic District – The area surrounding the intersection of Water Street, Tinton Avenue and Sycamore Avenue. The Old Mill, is now called MJ’s Restaurant, has views of the falls. The Crawford House run by the Friends of the Crawford House is part of the district. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.

Upper Freehold

·         Historic Walnford – 62 Walnford Road – House and gristmill of Richard Waln and family.  The house was built in 1773 and the family moved in 1774.  Waln, a Quaker refused to take sides and was labeled a Tory.  Waln was arrested, tried and sentenced to prison for being a Tory/Loyalist. Hessian troops passed by Walnford enroute to the battle of Monmouth and repaired the bridge over Crosswicks Creek. The gristmill dates to the 19th century. Property is part of the Monmouth County Park System. Tours are available. Listed on Register of National Historic Places in 1976.

·         Upper Freehold Baptist Meeting aka Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House and Cemetery – Yellow Meeting House Road – Oldest Baptist meeting house in New Jersey, maybe third oldest in country. Present building is from 1737 after the original meeting house burned. Added to the Register of National Historic Places in 1975. Cared for by Friends of Old Yellow Meeting House since 1977. Meeting house has been restored, and work is underway on the Parsonage.  Cemetery has been in use since founding earliest marked burial is from 1723.  At least six Revolutionary War soldiers are buried here: Elisha Lawarence

·         Emley’s Hill Methodist Episcopal Church and Churchyard – Emley’s Hill Road – Church founded 1790, present building is from 1855. Capt. Samuel Covell, a Revolutionary war soldier, is buried here.  He owned the land surrounding the Robbins Burial Ground aka Covell Hill Burial Ground, another old cemetery in Upper Freehold.

·         Upper Freehold Friends Burial Ground - Province Line Road – Burial Ground is part of the Arneytown Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.  A meeting house was built here about 1741 but is long gone.  The burial ground has markers dated back to 1796.  Abraham Tilton, Senior, veteran of the Revolution, is buried here.

 

West Long Branch

·         Old Free Church Cemetery – Monmouth Road – aka Independent Methodist Graveyard. At least five Revolutionary War veterans are buried here: John Brinley Sr, William Brinley, John Emmons, Frederick Mapps and William Tallman.